Thursday, February 5, 2009

Nothing is Automatic with Air Travel

A few days ago I mentioned that one of my biggest complaints about legacy airlines who run hub and spoke operations is that often you pull into the gate and it takes a long time for an agent to come down and attach the jetway. This has happened so many times to me I have lost count. Typically the flight is late anyway and the second the seat belt sign goes off, everybody jumps up (remember your connection is already under pressure from your late arrival). Then we wait, and we wait and we wait. This is very frustrating and yes, I've blown a connection in ATL as well over this stunt.

One of the most ridiculous things that happened to me in the last year was up at BWI where the jet way broke down just a few inches from the door. So we had to take a maintenance delay just to get off the flight! And as the delay dragged on (and lasted about 40 minutes) the pilot finally allowed us to deplane the MD-88 (yeah, this was Delta) through the back airstairs. This was fun considering it was raining and of course, TSA does not want customers walking across any airplane ramp. I better calm down; I'm starting to get agitated over this memory already!

No comments:

Post a Comment