
And what is that best advice? Fly as early in the day as you possibly can! As I've frequently mentioned, EWR and ORD represent two of the most delayed city pairs you can find. Fortunately my work in New Jersey ended hours before I anticipated. So I hustled out to EWR. CO charges $50.00 to get confirmed standby space on an earlier flight and to me that is money well spent just to get out of there. I hopped a 1:30 departure to ORD. The weather today at EWR is terrible, rain, low clouds. Complicating the issue according to the FAA is some kind of runway closure over at JFK that I imagine is impacting the arrival rates at EWR. Even then we were only 45 minutes late out of EWR (I will take that any day!) and due to schedule padding we arrived at ORD only 10 minutes late.
When I got home, I hopped on the aforementioned FAA site and see that EWR is running an astounding average delay rate of 3 hours and 52 minutes! Please remember this is the average. My original flight is showing 3 hours 17 minutes late and that is still speculation I think.
Although I rarely get to take my own advice, rule number one to follow in order to manage the chaos is:
Fly as early in the day as you can!

No comments:
Post a Comment