Monday, January 26, 2009

Waiting for the Next Trip

Typically I don't get most of a week off, but due to a cancellation this week, I'm home until Thursday night. It's at that time I will fly to Knoxville, TN., a place I lived for many years until recently. One of the benefits of living in Chicago is that you have a tremendous number of flights, carriers, and fares to chose from. And all this competition can keep fares in check (somewhat)

When I ran my consulting practice out of Knoxville, I used to get occasional complaints about the cost of airfares. Customers were polite, but they let me know that fares from TYS could get excessive.

One of my biggest training clients used to go round and round with me about these fares. And then one day I came across a website that ranks cities according to fares. And Knoxville (TYS) where I spent all those years is consistently in the top 5. I even wrote an email to the Metropolitan Knoxville Airport Authority telling them how fares were running off business in TYS - two years later, I've never received an answer.

In any event if you are concerned about your city, and how it ranks, visit the Bureau of Transportation Statistics. It's interesting reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment