Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hotel Etiquette - Part I

Good morning from the Embassy Suites at the St. Louis airport. Embassy Suites are one of my favorite brands (in fact I like the entire Hilton system) because it is a hotel that seems to cater to the business traveler. Weekends will be another story; many of them are full of casual travelers, so beware!

It is not that I am against casual travelers at all. However, having lived the better part of the last 19 years in hotels, there are a couple of things that I will bring up here that really bother me. Other posts will follow.

1) Do not walk through the halls at night conducting a loud, or even normal conversation with others. I am amazed at how often this happens. The noise penetrates your room and shows me that people simply don't think about others. This would be the equivalent of having strangers in your home who suddenly show up outside your bedroom door and just start talking, certainly not caring if you are asleep.

2) Manage the door to your room; don't let it slam behind you, ever! This is more of an irritant in the morning. I think many travelers feel that they can let it slam on the day they check out because their arms are full of luggage and their possessions. In my opinion this is never acceptable!. It takes effort to close the door gently. When that door slams the noise certainly gets inside the nearby rooms, typically at 5 AM. As I post this, I am drinking two little cups of coffee from the Embassy breakfast. In order to open my door when I came back here, I had to put one of them on the floor, and then gently closed the door. It was 6:45 AM. It took effort, but I'd like to think that I respected the fellow traveler.

And I'm sure if you have spent any time on the road, your space has been "invaded" by these events.

One more night here, then back home to Chicago

No comments:

Post a Comment