Not doing a good job keeping up. Just a couple of observations.
It is so clear to me now that "frequent flyer" programs have very little meaning now. It's not about miles, and it's not about free tickets. It's practically impossible to get a free ticket.
It's about status levels. I've been flirting with American, a lot lately. And I've paid for first class. Here's what I've noticed:
1) AA doesn't have nearly as many elites as DL, even out of their big hub in DFW. With DL about 30 percent of the load is waitlisted for first class. I notice short lists on AA.
2) Many DL "elites" simply aren't elite anything, but have managed to qualify for the low end silver/gold level and it has inflated the battleground waitlists. At least 30 percent of the entire capacity of the a/c is now listed for first. Even though those guys never get the upgrades, how long will they naively think they can?
I've had to reach the following conclusion: If you want to fly first, you have to BUY it, at least on DL. And AA sells first much cheaper than DL. I just bought Tampa-Port of Spain, Trinidad in first on AA for just over $800.00.
And I don't really care if I ever have status on AA. I'll keep happily buying first as long as it's not outrageously priced.
The times are truly changing.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA1740/history/20130512/2155Z/KTPA/KBWI
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL1824/history/20130515/2145Z/KBWI/KATL
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/EGF3716/history/20130516/1940Z/KATL/KORD
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL1977/history/20130517/2300Z/KORD/KATL
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL2304/history/20130518/0155Z/KATL/KTPA
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL1386/history/20130519/1130Z/KTPA/KATL
Monday, May 20, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment