Thursday, March 12, 2009

Minneapolis to Hartford - Some Thoughts on the Delta-Northwest Merger


Another complicated week is in full swing. I'm in Princeton, NJ today, but yesterday I drove 3 hours from Waterloo, Iowa up to MSP. I had to do this because Northwest has cut their lift out of ALO terribly. I don't like doing it this way, but I did arrive at MSP in time to grab a quick slice of pizza before boarding the NW trip to Hartford (BDL) where I worked today. By the way, the MSP airport is just wonderful; full of shopping and food choices; very unlike most hub airports.

A few thoughts on Delta and Northwest:

I'm a high mileage Delta Platinum Medallion, so I was pleasantly surprised to see my upgrade request clear so quickly. The Airbus A319 is nice up front. But I do feel sorry for dedicated NW elite flyers who are gonna learn the hard way about Delta "enhancements". For example, a meal was served on this flight! DL will end this practice I'm sure. DL rarely serves a meal in first (snacks yes, but I get tired of pretzels).

I'm sure it is going to gall these NW elites to watch their upgrades evaporate as elite Delta fliers start to pile into first class in MSP and Detroit. Again, I have no status on NW, yet I sat in row 1 beside an NW elite member. I did not have the heart to tell him how his benefits will shrink once the guys down on Virginia Avenue in ATL can get into him.

At the gate, and on the flight, announcements are made that you are flying "Northwest Airlines, part of Delta Airlines". I'm sure NW elites are choking on this.

Hang in there guys, I'll see you I'm sure in ATL, MSP, and DTW.

By the way, the flight left the gate five minutes early. This never happens at the "World Port" in ATL.

No comments:

Post a Comment